Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Strama- Markma Linkage

If location, location, location are the 3 key success factors for fastfoods, then it might be topic, topic, topic which are the key success factors for Strama, or Strategic Management, the last subject of many an AGSB MBA student and sadly, where a lot of students falter- resulting in agonizing delays or worse non-completion of the MBA program.

Unfortunately, I cannot base the above hypothesis on my own experience in the MBA since I completed mine in 1994 when strama was not yet the norm; it was thesis writing and defense which served as the final hurdle to an MBA degree.

Prof. Frank Roa was my thesis adviser in 1993. He was and is probably among the most diligent, hardworking, and supportive advisers to get, even today for strama. Back then, I distinctly remember going to his office in Petron to bring a copy of my thesis. I got the corrected one back on time, and I am sure he read it word for word as there were corrections and suggestions pencilled in many of the pages. During my defense, he asked the familiar questions he asked me during the draft writing and of course I knew the answers already, having taken some, not all of his recommendations. On the items we agreed on, it was easy. On the others, I was prepared.

To this day, Prof. Roa volunteers his time to talk to markma students of other professors and share his wisdom on choosing a topic for strama. He proposes that an early understanding of the rigors of strama, especially while in markma helps. Having been a strama adviser for many years, he observed that many of the dilemmas and hence the solutions to business problems were marketing related. I have summarized Prof. Roa’s recommendations in the following powerpoint. When he has time, he prefers to explain this directly to the markma class.


To support Prof. Roa’s initiative, I have suggested to my students to actually use the same topic/ subject matter for their 10 step marketing plan for the Markma class and for their Strama paper. At best, it will give them the chance to accomplish the marketing portion for their strama paper and getting feedback from me, their marketing professor. At worst, students will find out that the topic they chose was a difficult one – possibly in identifying the strategic recommendations or possibly that the data needed are confidential or not readily available.

 Hypermarketing students. After reading the guidelines, pls. prove that you have read it by posting your 2 proposed topics for your 10 Step Marketing Plan using the link below. Remember, pls. post as a comment and not as a new post! http://www.facebook.com/groups/v59agsb/permalink/212271598897424/

No comments:

Post a Comment